Thursday, April 23, 2009

Fearful Monk Seeks Refuge in Thailand

Tim Sakhorn (L) during his questioning by Vietnamese policeBy Taing Sarada, VOA Khmer Original report from Washington22 April 2009

[Editor’s note: Tim Sakhorn, a former monk of the Khmer Kampuchea Krom ethnic group of southern Vietnam, who ran a pagoda in Takeo province, is now in Thailand, seeking political asylum from persecution in Vietnam. He was defrocked in Cambodia in 2007 and allegedly forcibly turned over to Vietnamese authorities, who put him in prison for a year. Allowed to visit Cambodia earlier this month, to attend a funeral ceremony for his mother, he fled the country. He spoke to VOA Khmer by phone from Thailand.] Q. What was the reason you made your escape from Cambodia to Thailand?A. I was very afraid the Cambodian government would send me back to Vietnam.Q. What is your present situation in Thailand?A. I’m still really scared.Q. Because you’ve seen someone following you, or intimidating you, or what?A. I haven’t seen anyone following me yet, but I have to be careful with my personal security.

No comments:

Post a Comment